Open-Faced Frico Egg Sandwich
The layer of melted and crisped cheese —the frico—is what make this creamy sandwich unique. If you like spicy aoli, add two large cloves of garlic. —Julie Solis, Congers, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick), lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup sandwich giardiniera, drained and finely chopped
- 4 thin slices tomato
- Minced fresh parsley
- For aioli, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Sprinkle Parmesan into large nonstick skillet; heat over medium heat. Cook just until melted, about 2 minutes. Break eggs, 1 at a time, into a custard cup or saucer, then gently slide into pan over Parmesan. Immediately reduce heat to low. To prepare eggs sunny-side up, cover pan and cook until yolks thicken but are not hard, 4-5 minutes.
- Spread aioli over toasted bread. Top with giardiniera, tomato and egg. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 408 calories, 23g fat (5g saturated fat), 194mg cholesterol, 1188mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Open-faced Aioli Sandwhich with Frico Egg in Taste of Home April/May 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.