Nutty Sour Cream Apple Pie
Topped with sweetly seasoned pecans, this recipe is an apple pie lover's dream. My mother taught me to bake when I was young, and I've been heating up ovens with pies, cakes and cookies ever since.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and nutmeg. In another bowl, combine the egg, sour cream, honey and vanilla until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients. Fold in the apples. Spoon into pastry shell. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 425° for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until the apples are tender. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 348 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 192mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Nutty Sour Cream Apple Pie in Country Woman September/October 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.