Topped with sweetly seasoned pecans, this recipe is an apple pie lover's dream. My mother taught me to bake when I was young, and I've been heating up ovens with pies, cakes and cookies ever since.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and nutmeg. In another bowl, combine the egg, sour cream, honey and vanilla until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients. Fold in the apples. Spoon into pastry shell. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 425° for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until the apples are tender (cover pie edges loosely with foil if necessary to prevent overbrowning). Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Nutty Sour Cream Apple Pie in Country Woman September/October 2004, p33