- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green or sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix chili sauce and ketchup. In a large bowl, combine Rice Krispies, onion, green pepper, cheese, egg, salt and pepper; stir in half of the chili sauce mixture. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Transfer beef mixture to an ungreased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Make a shallow indentation down center of loaf. Spread remaining chili sauce mixture over loaf, being sure to fill indentation.
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°; use a turkey baster to remove drippings every 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forMy Mom's Best Meat Loaf
"This was 5 stars for my family. I thought the Rice Krispies odd but made recipe as given. This turned out so well! We really liked the flavor & I've made this 5 or 6 times since I first tried it in May 2017. This is a keeper."
"This is one of the best meatloaf recipes I have found! My family loves it. It is also great for sandwiches."
"This was good, but I use "grape nuts" which makes for a little more dense meatloaf but really yummy."
"My husband and I agree, this is the best meatloaf recipe we have come across. He always gives me a big smile when I tell him that it's on the menu."
"This and all meat loafs by my way of thinking, are good. Instead of rice Krisps my family always uses quick oats for the same reason -as a binder. We also add dry mustard and garlic powder to meat mixture"
"Made a pretty good tasting meatloaf. The Rice Krispies were a little odd, but you couldn't tell they were there. Not sure why they are even necessary. Maybe I'll try this with breadcrumbs and see if it turns out the same or better. We all liked it, but not the best meatloaf I've made. I really liked the chili sauce in this recipe."
"This meat loaf is so tasty! Definitely worth making.- Theresa"
"Made this last night. Hysterical hearing the snap, crackle & pop when mixing! Delicious! Made recipe exact, but did add a second egg. Loved the tang of the chili & ketchup sauce, very moist meatloaf. You do not taste the rice krispies or even the cheese. Thanks for sharing Kelly!"
"This was very tasty. The only change I made, which was minor, was to use grated Italian cheese blend. The meatloaf was moist and flavorful and my family enjoyed it."