Moroccan Spiced Fruit & Nut Bread
Red pepper flakes combined with the cinnamon and allspice give each slice of this bread a subtle hint of warmth. —Donna Marie Ryan, Topsfield, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices) and 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- ORANGE BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 4 teaspoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, combine apricot, dates and orange juice; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 1 minute. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugars, baking powder, salt and spices. In a another bowl, whisk eggs, milk, melted butter and orange zest until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in coconut, pecans and apricot mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
- In a small bowl, beat remaining ingredients until blended. Serve bread with orange butter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter: 238 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Moroccan Spice Fruit Nut Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.