Moist Nut Bread
The unexpected ingredient in these moist, convenient loaves is baby food! "A neighbor shared the recipe years ago when we both had small children—and many jars of baby food—in the house," comments Judi Oudekerk of St. Michael, Minnesota. "This bread has remained a favorite."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2 jars (6 ounces each) strained apricot baby food
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. In another bowl, combine eggs, baby food, oil, water and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients; mix until well blended. Stir in nuts. Pour into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 217 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Moist Nut Bread in Quick Cooking March/April 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.