- 1 loaf (1 pound) day-old Italian bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 pound sliced deli ham
- 1/2 pound sliced Swiss cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced deli turkey
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- RASPBERRY SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- Line a greased 13x9-in. baking dish with half of the bread. Spread mustard over bread. Layer with ham, cheese, turkey and remaining bread (dish will be full).
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla; pour over top. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water, lemon juice and maple syrup until smooth. Add raspberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Let casserole stand 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with sauce. Yield: 12 servings (1-3/4 cups sauce).
Reviews forMonte Cristo Casserole with Raspberry Sauce
"Since this recipe did not have any reviews yet and it seemed like it would be great on my Easter buffet, I did make it. I made the recipe exactly as printed. The flavor is amazing; however, in a unanimous decision none of us would use the raspberry syrup for this recipe. I have already received one suggestion that if you top it with anything, use maple syrup. That person said it was awesome left over with the maple syrup. I have had it left over and preferred it just plain. It is not that the raspberry syrup isn't good. I think the syrup will be great on plain buttermilk pancakes or crepes. I plan to freeze it. It is just too much and takes away from the rest of the flavors going on in this easy, make ahead casserole. Will make it for company I have visiting this summer."