Creamy Eggplant & Mushroom Monte Cristo
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 slices eggplant (1/2 inch thick), halved
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh shiitake or baby portobello mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup garlic-herb spreadable cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 8 slices wide-loaf white bread
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add eggplant; cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until tender and lightly browned. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from pan; wipe skillet clean.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs and milk until blended. Spread 1 tablespoon herb cheese over each slice of bread. Layer four slices with eggplant and mushrooms; top with remaining bread.
- In same pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Carefully dip both sides of sandwiches in egg mixture, allowing each side to soak 5 seconds. Place two sandwiches in skillet; toast 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining oil and sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 573 calories, 36g fat (13g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 939mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 15g protein.
Mar 3, 2018
Really tasty as is and easy to make, but it does take a few steps. Slicing the eggplant thinly will help it cook quickly and avoids the rubbery texture that happens when eggplant is undercooked. Ultimately, you'll have a sandwich that is easier to bite. I used shiitake mushrooms.
Aug 5, 2015
Great recipe.....especially for those who love veggie sandwiches! Marinara sauce works well as a dip.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.