Blueberry Cake with Wojapi Sauce
This is my grandmother's recipe, and the sauce is traditional Cherokee, which has been passed down for generations. It is very versatile and can be used on fry bread, pancakes, waffles and other desserts.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- WOJAPI SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine sugar and flour; stir in milk and vanilla. Place butter in a greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pan. Pour batter into pan (do not stir). Sprinkle with blueberries.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- In a small saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth; add blueberries. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve warm over cake with ice cream if desired.