Triple Berry Shortcake
My great-great grandmother handed down her shortcake recipe. I’m sharing it because it’s way too fabulous to keep it a secret! —Sara Kingsmore, Vadnais Heights, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer batter to a greased 13x9-in. pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- For topping, in a large bowl, combine berries; add sugar and toss gently to coat. Serve with cake; top with whipped cream, if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 361 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 301mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Grandma's Berry Shortcake in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.