Mom’s White Lasagna
My mom made this lasagna for special occasions, such as birthdays. When she passed, I inherited her cookbooks—tucked inside one of them, I found this recipe folded into a letter she wrote to me while I was stationed overseas. It's a hearty, rich dish that reminds me of home.—Janet Wing, Minot, North Dakota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 2% cottage cheese
- 3/4 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- Additional minced fresh basil and oregano, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook noodles according to package directions for al dente. In a large skillet, cook sausage, celery, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook 3-4 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add cream, cream cheese, herbs, pepper and salt; stir until cream cheese is melted. Drain noodles.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, cheddar and cottage cheese.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer three noodles, half of the sausage mixture, half of the cheddar cheese mixture and half of the mozzarella slices. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles; sprinkle with Gouda cheese.
- Bake, covered, 40-50 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with additional basil and oregano.
Originally published as Moms White Lasagna in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.