Lasagna with White Sauce
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- WHITE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 10 to 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, bouillon and seasonings. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan; stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in half of the cheese; set aside.
- Pour half of the meat sauce into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half the lasagna noodles and remaining meat sauce. Top with remaining noodles. Pour white sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake at 400° until bubbly and noodles are tender, 40 minutes. If desired, uncover and broil 5-6 inches from heat until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Lasagna with White Sauce Tips
Why is my lasagna watery?To avoid watery lasagna, make sure your noodles are drained properly before layering. Once they are cooked and drained, do not rinse with water but immediately place in a single layer on a lightly oiled tray. This will allow the sauce to cling to the starches on the noodle. Be sure to check out these sauce thickening tips if the white sauce is too thin for your liking.
How many layers should the lasagna be?Most lasagna recipes have layers of noodles, sauce and cheese-and-meat filling. At a minimum, you should have two layers of each to make a delicious lasagna.
Does traditional lasagna have bechamel?Yes, traditional lasagna contains bechamel! It's actually one of the French mother sauces. But over time, people have turned to ricotta or cottage cheese as a replacement for the bechamel sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 232 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 639mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
May 29, 2020
Our family felt like this needed more flavor. Will definitely add garlic next time. And I have to use weird gluten free noodles so I might try corn tortillas next time.
Dec 19, 2019
I was really excited to try this recipe since I had done a similar one many times, but used all store bought white sauces. Unfortunately it didn't have the flavor profile I was looking for. I did up the salt and included garlic powder since it seemed very bland. At the end it just tasted like homemade mac n cheese sauce, not what I was aiming for. The rest of the recipe was amazing. Maybe someone has some pointers? Overall good, just missing something.
May 1, 2018
I have made this quite a few times over the years. My family loves it. So easy and so good.
May 7, 2017
The white sauce is a unique twist on classic lasagna! Love it!
Dec 19, 2016
Fantastic recipe! My family loves this white sauce version. Quick, easy and full of flavor!
Sep 23, 2015
I have been making this dish for years, my family loves it, it's just me and my husband now and he wants only this lasagna recipe!
Dec 26, 2013
My family of eight has been asking for this delicious & easy dish since it was first published in TOH in 1994. They just asked for it for New Year's Day! Because it's filled with ingredients I always have on hand, I can always satisfy their request. Sometimes I add sliced pepperoni to make it a little more special. And, I always use a full cup of mozzarella cheese in the sauce & for the topping. We like lots of cheese in Italian dishes.
May 25, 2012
Make this once in a while. Everyone loves.
Apr 15, 2010
My family loves lasagna, and never have ricotta cheese on hand, this recipes uses staples that I always have on hand and it is delicious.
Jan 10, 2010
you have to try this! It is our favorite lasagn recipe and it is so easy.. I did double the amount of tomatoes, tomato paste, beef granules, and Italian seasoning. The first time I doubled the cayenne and regular pepper it was a bit hot so I don't double those anymore. I doubled the sauce because it didn't seem like there was quite enough of it for this many noodles. Very good you'll know why it won the blue ribbon!