Aunt May’s Lasagna
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 can (6 ounces) pitted ripe olives, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40-50 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. cook noodles according to package directions; drain. Discard bay leaf from meat sauce. Stir in olives.
- Spread a fourth of the sauce in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with three noodles and a third of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, sauce and cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 249 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 412mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein.
Dec 11, 2013
This is my lasagna recipe also, but last year I added the ricotta for the first time and my family loved it! So now I add that along with the two other chesses! Great recipe! We always have lasagna for Xmas dinner with green bean casserole and all the other goodies!
May 27, 2013
I use Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles and Cottage Cheese, also use some shredded Parmesan Cheese with the Mozza cheese.
Mar 2, 2013
Although I love traditional lasagna with the ricotta, my husband does not. This was a delicious and simple recipe (didn't do the olives) that had my husband taking a second helping. Will definitely make again and might try with Italian sausage.
Jan 23, 2013
I've made a couple of different lasagnas. This was amazing. Simple & delicious. Everyone was looking forward to leftovers the next day. Only thing I changed is I added a cup of water to the sauce, like some other stated the sauce was too thick for my liking. I also added sugar & tons of garlic to mine.
Nov 27, 2012
very nice recipe , easy to make with a wonderful flavor.
Oct 12, 2012
My husband doesn't care for lasagna recipes that use ricotta cheese. I found this one and since no one likes olives, I omitted them. At times I will use mushrooms instead. I've also made using whole wheat noodles and ground turkey and my family loves it! We make this recipe often!
Feb 10, 2012
I have a different lasagna recipe that I prefer, but it has more steps so I use this recipe when I want an easier lasagna. It's pretty good, but better if you add 1/2 c. or so of water with the tomatoes so it's not as dry
Dec 3, 2011
I have made this recipe a few times and we love it. I omit the olives because I'm the only one in my house who likes them, and I usually end up adding extra cheese, but it's always a hit and even my toddler likes it.
Jul 19, 2011
Pretty good, but not enough sauce. Kind of dry. I added in 8 oz of tomato sauce cause that is what I found in the cupboard. But, ideally, I think I'd add a whole jar of pasta sauce next time. I like juicy lasagna!
Feb 17, 2011
So easy to make because you don't have to prepare the ricotta/egg mixture that traditional lasagna requires. Delicious even without all that. My daughter always requests this when she comes home from college.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.