We wanted to get creative with hot dogs, so we made a mac-and-cheesy one. Pile on the extra cheese, relish and even bacon. —Julie Peterson, Crofton, Maryland
Featured In: 52 Cheer-Worthy Tailgate Appetizers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen bread dough dinner rolls (12 count), thawed but still cold
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 bun-length beef hot dogs
- 1 package (7-1/4 ounces) macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- Let dough stand at room temperature 15-20 minutes or until soft enough to shape. Cut each roll in half; shape each half into a 3-in.-long mini hot dog bun. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Cover with greased plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake buns 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a 15x10x1-in. baking pan, toss bread crumbs with onion, oil, salt and pepper. Bake at 350° for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once.
- Cook hot dogs and macaroni and cheese according to package directions. To serve, cut hot dogs crosswise in half. Split buns; fill with hot dogs and macaroni and cheese. Sprinkle with toasted crumbs. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Mini Mac & Cheese Dogs in Simple & Delicious February/March 2016
Reviews forMini Mac & Cheese Dogs
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 29, 2016
"These were fun to put together with my son."