Migas Breakfast Tacos
Unless you grew up in the Southwest or visit there often, you might be hearing of migas for the first time. Think of them as the best scrambled eggs ever. The secret ingredient: corn tortillas. They're what really make my migas tacos special! —Stephen Exel, Des Moines, Iowa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into thin strips
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 6 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- Optional toppings: refried beans, sliced avocado, sour cream and minced fresh cilantro
- In a large skillet, saute onion and jalapeno in oil until tender. Add tortilla strips; cook 3 minutes longer. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, salt and pepper. Add to skillet; cook and stir until almost set. Stir in cheese and tomato.
- Serve in flour tortillas with toppings of your choice.