Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 3/4 cup refried black beans
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 3 to 5 drops chipotle hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cooked bacon strips, halved
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Cut the top third off each roll; hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Place roll bottoms on an ungreased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the beans, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, pepper sauce and salt. Spread 1/4 cup inside each roll. Break an egg into each roll. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over eggs. Brush roll tops with olive oil; place on the baking sheet. Bake 5-8 minutes longer or until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not firm. Top each with bacon, avocado, salsa and onions. Replace roll tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 677 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 244mg cholesterol, 1279mg sodium, 94g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 8g fiber), 28g protein.
Dec 12, 2013
I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds great. I wonder if kmarqui forgot to hollow out the bottom of the bread, because that makes a hole for the egg to sit in.
Aug 31, 2013
Great taste however the process of the egg being cracked open over the sandwich prior to cooking did not work for me. The egg slid off the sandwich and it is next to impossible to get it put back on without breaking the yolk. Plus the bun over cooked being in the oven that total cooking time. So I improvised and heated the bun with a slathering of olive oil in the 400 degree oven for 4 minutes or so. Then I fried up the eggs. I pulled the heated buns from the oven and put on 1/4 cup of the re fried bean mixture. I heated that up for another few minutes. Then I thinly sliced some left over flank steak and layered that over the re fried bean mixture, then added the fried eggs and sprinkled shredded Mexican blend cheese and some chopped black olives. I placed the sandwich back into the oven for 5-7 minutes to melt the cheese. Maybe more seasoned cooks/chefs can make this work as written, but know there is another process.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.