- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2 cups small-curd cottage cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Salsa, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Add the eggs, 3-1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, cottage cheese, tomatoes, chilies, onions, hot pepper sauce, oregano, cilantro, salt and pepper. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forMexican Egg Casserole
"Made this for family night and my family loved it."
"I just realized that I have made this recipe 6-8 times & have never submitted a review. I LOVE this recipe. The flavor & texture are amazing. I usually make this for a ladies brunch. I serve it with a side of mango / medium salsa & sour cream. I will continue to make this over & over!"
"Very good! I will be making it again. Served with sausage patties on the side for those needing some meat."
"I made half this recipe for 2 of us and it would have served 6. i made it in an 8x8 baking dish maybe a 7x11 would be better. REALLY good especially topped with salsa. Pretty easy to put together. I used more cheese on the topping, 2% cottage cheese, a whole can of chilies, double the hot sauce, and oregano. Oven time: 400 for 15 minutes; 20 minutes at 350. I put the topping cheese on when i turned the heat to 350."
"While my sister was in Mexico with her husband visiting relatives of his, they barely cooked their eggs dishes, which my sister thought was gross. She obligingly cooked one longer and received lots of grumbles and frowns; otherwise, it was quite enjoyable to learn their culture. Dish is delicious. Thanks"
"Can this casserole be made the day before and baked in the morning?"
"I left out the hot pepper sauce but this was a very tasteful dish and my son loved it!! I think the combination of cheeses made this a winner in our book."
"Always enjoy this one"