Mexican Rice with Poached Eggs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 to 2 seeded jalapeno peppers, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Warm corn or flour tortillas (6 inches), optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook sausage, crumbling meat, with onion and peppers until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in beef base, cumin and black pepper.
- Add rice; brown lightly. Pour in water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 18-20 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Transfer to a platter; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, poach eggs by bringing 2-3 in. water to a boil in a large saucepan or skillet with high sides; adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a small bowl; holding bowl close to water surface, slip egg into water. Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, 3-5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, lift eggs out of water. Place on rice; sprinkle with cheese. If desired serve with warm tortillas.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 482 calories, 28g fat (10g saturated fat), 246mg cholesterol, 998mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
May 27, 2018
So delicious! Mexican version of bimbimbap. Ate this without cheese or tortillas and loved it. Can have a spicy element but enjoyed the rice with the poached eggs.
May 1, 2018
So simple and delicious. I made it as a vegetarian dish (so minus the meat). I added some black beans, corn, and diced tomato.