Southwestern Egg Casserole
The more time I spend in the kitchen, the happier I am! These baked eggs with a true Southwestern flavor are perfect to serve when entertaining overnight guests.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 10 large eggs
- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into eggs (batter will be lumpy). Add cheeses, butter and chiles. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 330 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 239mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Southwestern Egg Casserole in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Dec 26, 2011
I made this for my family for Christmas brunch, and it was a hit. The cottage cheese lends a creamy/tangy contrast to the slight spiciness of the peppers. It is delicious! Will make again!