Southwestern Eggs Benedict
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 4 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 small sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 turkey bacon strips, chopped and cooked
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 eggs
- Chopped plum tomatoes and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Place potatoes and water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until tender; drain. In a large skillet, saute pepper and onion in oil until onion is tender. Add the potatoes, bacon, salt and pepper; saute 8-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are lightly browned.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in cheese and chilies; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, place 2-3 in. of water in a large skillet with high sides; add vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer; holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip each egg into water.
- Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks are still soft, about 4 minutes. Divide potato mixture among four plates. Using a slotted spoon, lift eggs out of water and place on potato mixture. Top with sauce; sprinkle with tomatoes and cilantro if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup potato mixture with 1 poached egg and 2 tablespoons sauce (calculated without optional ingredi: 277 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 235mg cholesterol, 585mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Jan 21, 2014
made it for a light dinner Awesome!! oishii!
Jun 4, 2011
soo good!! Didn't make sauce.
Feb 17, 2011
Awesome! My family loved it. If you don't have a poacher and are nervous about poaching, fried eggs would do just fine.
Feb 3, 2011
My new favoritemy new favorite
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.