Through the years, my family has enjoyed this tasty omelet for brunch. Now, as a 71-year-old farm wife, I often prepare it for friends as we gather for our many "senior" functions.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 flour tortillas (8 inches), coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 large ripe avocado, chopped
- 3/4 cup sour cream, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh or canned green chiles
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- In an 8-in. skillet, saute tortilla in butter until softened, about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, beat eggs, water and salt in a bowl. Pour over tortilla in skillet; cook over medium heat. As eggs set, lift edges, letting uncooked portions flow underneath. When eggs are set, remove from the heat. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese. Combine avocado, 1/2 cup sour cream, chiles and lemon juice; spread over half of the omelet. Fold omelet in half and transfer to a warm platter. Top with tomato and remaining cheese and sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 518 calories, 40g fat (18g saturated fat), 495mg cholesterol, 576mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Mexican Omelet in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.