Meat Loaf Potato Surprise
Meet the Cook: Although I'm retired after years teaching school, my days continue to be full. So easy dishes like this still are a blessing to me. My husband - who's a meat loaf lover - and I have five grown children and eight grandchildren.—Lois Gallup Edwards, Woodland, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Additional Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the crumbs, broth, egg and seasonings; let stand for 2 minutes. Sprinkle beef over mixture and mix well.
- On a piece of waxed paper, pat meat mixture into a 10-in. square. Combine hash browns, cheese, parsley and onion salt; spoon over meat.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, removing waxed paper as you roll. Pinch edges and ends to seal; place with seam side down in an ungreased shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 375° for 40 minutes. Combine the first three sauce ingredients; spoon over loaf. Return to the oven for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 249 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 889mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Meat Loaf Potato Surprise in Country Woman March/April 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.