Lemon Cheese Braid Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, butter, eggs, salt and 2 cups flour; beat on low speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough of remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat all the filling ingredients until fluffy; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll into a 14x12-in. rectangle. Place on a greased baking sheet. Spread filling down center third of rectangle. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips, 3-in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Seal end. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency; drizzle over warm bread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 284 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 7, 2017
Love this bread! The filling is phenomenal!! It's a keeper!
Jul 4, 2016
What is the correct amount of yeast to use in this recipe?do you use one envelop or 1/4 ounce?
Feb 24, 2014
It probably didn't bake all the way through. If the braid wasn't long enough you may have had too dense of an area of filling. I often split the dough and make 2, 4, or even 6 minis. Totally worth the effort, give it another go. Also - the first couple of times I made this I didn't read the cream cheese quantity right it says 2 pkgs - but then in parenthesis it says an 8 oz and a 3 oz....confusing for me, it should have just said 11 oz of cream cheese.
Feb 24, 2014
PHENOMENAL!! I have literally made this recipe 100+ times. The requests are endless, always gets rave reviews. I sometimes make 4-6 minis out of a recipe, those are fun too. A big thanks to the submitter. For me, the bake time and temp is a bit too much, usually I bake at 350 for 20 min...especially for the minis (closer to 18 min)
Dec 2, 2012
the filling was super runny. What was the problem I had?
Jul 26, 2012
This is a great bread recipe. I have been making it for a long time.
Nov 14, 2011
I have been making this recipe for years and it is a family & friend favorite. I get request for this wonderful pastry. I have added more sugar to the dough, but it is not necessary. I have used almond extract in the icing when I was out of vanilla --it is a nice flavor accompaniment too. I double the icing recipe. This will ALWAYS be a favorite recipe. I'm not sure how many times I have even made it --but many times!
Mar 4, 2011
This was really great. Easy to make and wonderful flavor. Only issue I had was it spread out flatter than the picture. Still, well worth making time and time again. Was even wonderful heated the next morning.
Dec 30, 2010
Both my daughter and I have made this and brought it to work and coworkers would not believe we made this as it is such a beautiful bread and the lemon cheese filling is just a wonderful creamy flavor
May 10, 2010
This was really yummy!