Judy’s Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom of a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Fold in chocolate chips and, if desired, walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack; remove paper.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 229 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 8, 2016
I made this tonight and it was absolutely amazing. I didn't have buttermilk on hand, so I used regular milk and it was fine. I will be saving this recipe and making it again soon!
Jun 10, 2016
Delicious and moist. Used mini chocolate chips so you get chocolate in every bite.
May 4, 2016
We love this bread! I don't change a thing.
Sep 9, 2015
Soooo delicious! I was a little skeptical of so much sugar, but I made it as directed and it turned out perfect. Nice and moist, this is an definite keeper!
May 1, 2015
Pretty tasty. I cut the sugar in mine and it was fine....I think I actually could have cut the sugar a bit more! The kids and hubby thought it was great!
Mar 22, 2015
This was so delicious and very easy. Will definitely make again!
Mar 9, 2015
My family thought this bread was delicious; rated it "tied" with other the banana bread that I make. That's saying a lot! As another reviewer suggested, I used lite sour cream because I didn't have any buttermilk but still wanted the "bulk" that buttermilk gives. I also reduced the sugar by 1/2 cup. Doubled the recipe & I'm glad I did. Next time I will make one loaf without the chocolate chips, though, because I actually prefer my banana bread plain. One of my sons said he'd like to try it with half chocolate chips & half peanut butter chips, so I may try it that way. A definite keeper!
Mar 8, 2015
This bread was good but a little dry. I think next time I will take it out a little sooner. It actually tasted better the next day.
Nov 18, 2014
Kids requested banana bread for breakfast and this was a huge hit with the surprise mini chocolate chips inside. Very good flavor.
Oct 5, 2014
This is the BEST Banana Bread I have ever tasted without adding the chocolate chips. We also use sweetened almond milk (60 cal) instead of buttermilk.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.