Jerk-Spiced Mango Pineapple Chutney
I grew up eating mango, pineapple and spicy food, so enjoy the combination of these flavors. I try to make this chutney during the summer when the fruit is most flavorful and affordable. It's fine to adjust the spiciness according to your liking. You can serve this with any meat, but also with fish, such as salmon.—Sugiyarti Jorgenson, Kodiak, Alaska
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours Process: 10 min.
- 4 cups chopped peeled ripe mangoes (about 4 medium)
- 4 cups finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 2-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a Dutch oven, bring all ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until thickened.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into five hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Editor's Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face. The processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 163 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 12mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Jerk Mango-Pineapple Chutney in Country Woman August/September 2014