Raspberry-Onion Jalapeno Chutney
Sweet raspberries and spicy jalapenos come together to create a chutney that tastes terrific on top of cream cheese or over grilled chicken. —Jo-Anne Cooper, Camrose, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Process: 15 min.
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 2 large red onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1-1/4 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons canning salt
- 4 cups fresh raspberries
- In a Dutch oven, bring the first 10 ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in raspberries; heat through.
- Remove from the heat. Ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Editor's Note: When cutting hot peppers, disposable gloves are recommended. Avoid touching your face. The processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.