Jen’s Baked Beans
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 4 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/3 cups ketchup
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 325°. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings.
- Return bacon to pan. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Place in oven; bake, covered, 50-60 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled baked beans in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 362 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 1000mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 11g fiber), 13g protein.
May 28, 2018
As stated previously, this recipe is very dry. After reading the reviews, I made 1.5 times the sauce recipe and it was still really dry. I like my baked beans in a lot of liquid so I did not like this recipe but I gave it 3 stars since a couple of people I was dining with like baked beans on the dry side and they loved this recipe.
Sep 8, 2017
I added 1/2 large yellow onion. Great flavor
Jul 18, 2016
Good flavor - mine turned out too dry for my taste so next time I'll try less time in the oven.
May 30, 2016
These beans were the all-star of our Memorial Day party. Everyone loved the bold flavors from the molasses and that the beans weren't too sweet. I did cut up 1 medium red onion and added it with the bacon. Otherwise, everything was perfect!