"I've served this dish at our children's graduation parties, and everyone has asked for the recipe," Loretta Conrey notes from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The chilled pasta salad is perfect for a picnic or potluck. Dressed with a light coating of reduced-fat salad dressing, it's chock-full of good-for-you cauliflower, carrot and broccoli bits.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup creamy Italian salad dressing
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe dish, combine the cauliflower, broccoli, carrot and water. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. Immediately place vegetables in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- Drain pasta and rinse in cold water. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, vegetable mixture, water chestnuts, olives and onion. In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing, dill and salt. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Italian Pasta Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2004, p14