"I've served this dish at our children's graduation parties, and everyone has asked for the recipe," Loretta Conrey notes from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The chilled pasta salad is perfect for a picnic or potluck. Dressed with a light coating of reduced-fat salad dressing, it's chock-full of good-for-you cauliflower, carrot and broccoli bits.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup reduced-fat creamy Italian salad dressing
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a microwave-safe dish, combine the cauliflower, broccoli, carrot and water. Cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. Immediately place vegetables in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, combine the water chestnuts, olives, onion, pasta and vegetables. In another bowl, combine the salad dressing, dill weed and salt. Pour over pasta mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Italian Pasta Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2004, p14