Italian Beef Roll ups
Meet the Cook: When I serve Italian Beef Roll-Ups, my family and friends tell me that I should open a restaurant. And this dish tastes even more delicious rewarmed! I do a lot of cooking, especially now that we're retired. As a special treat, I like to bring dinner to our daughters (we have three) and their husbands. -Lucia Johnson, Massena, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh celery leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups spaghetti sauce
- Hot cooked pasta
- Pound meat to tenderize. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut into 3-in. to 4-in. squares. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, celery and herbs. Place a heaping spoonful of crumb mixture on each meat square and roll up. Secure with string or a toothpick. Roll meat in remaining crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, brown roll-ups in oil on all sides. Pour spaghetti sauce over all; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with pasta.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 448 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 1267mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 37g protein.
Originally published as Italian Beef Roll-ups in Country Woman May/June 1992