Italian Stuffed Beef Rolls
The combination of spinach, artichoke and cream cheese is always a crowd-pleaser. Add basil and a roasted red pepper sauce, and you have perfection on a fork! To save time, the stuffed beef filling can be made ahead and chilled. You can also make the sauce ahead and reheat it when you are ready to serve. —Noelle Myers, Grand Forks, North Dakota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (2 pounds)
- 2 jars (8 ounces each) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 carton (8 ounces) spreadable chive and onion cream cheese
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pasta sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 425°. Cut steak into 6 serving-size pieces; pound with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup roasted peppers, spinach, cream cheese, artichokes and basil; spread over steaks. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Place seam side down in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°), 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place pasta sauce and remaining roasted peppers in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan; stir in tomato paste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, 15-20 minutes. Let steaks stand 5 minutes before cutting into 1-in.-thick slices. Serve with sauce.