Hot Spinach Spread with Pita Chips
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes16 servings (4 cups spread)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 6 pita breads (6 inches)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Meanwhile, cut each pita bread into 8 wedges. Place in two 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Combine the butter, lemon-pepper, cumin and garlic salt; brush over pita wedges.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until crisp. Serve with spinach spread.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup spread with 3 pita wedges: 231 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 381mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Sep 13, 2019
9/11/2019 I prepared this recipe. I'd used a taco cheese blend which included Monterey Jack cheese! I'd used whole wheat pita breads and 1/4 tsp. each garlic powder and salt for the butter mixture on pita wedges! This is a 5* recipe!
Mar 30, 2015
I made this last week, and I just re-read the recipe before writing the review... I knew I had changed fresh jalapenos for ground dried chipotle (maybe 1/4 teaspoon), but I didn't realize I had completely forgotten the two cups of grated cheese! I omitted the onion because I only had 10 minutes to heat it in the microwave. Apparently it didn't matter that much; everyone seemed to like it! I couldn't get the lemon pepper mixture to stick to the pita triangles; they all fell off and stayed in the bowl, but that didn't seem to matter either. I also buttered some sliced french bread and sprinkled it with garlic and parsley and toasted it with the pita bread, and they were all eaten too. Maybe I didn't exactly make THIS recipe, but I did use it as a starting point. Thanks!
Dec 21, 2013
The spinach spread was very good but I agree the Pita chips are the star attraction with this recipie.!
Dec 4, 2013
This was a hit at our recent family potluck. I bought pita chips, but I'll make them next time.
Mar 25, 2012
This recipe was very tasty, but the pita chips were outrageous. Loved them. I took this dish to a get together and everyone liked the dip but raved about the pita chips. What a delicious flavor. YUM....
Feb 6, 2011
This is a very easy and delicious recipe. I made it as an appetizer for a dinner party and the guests gobbled it up.
Jun 6, 2010
Oh so good! I used reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese and fat free cream cheese and nobody noticed. I didn't make the pita chips...we just used regular pita bread and crackers.~ Theresa
Jun 2, 2010
I have not made this dip yet. 2 questions please: 1)Could I sub. fresh spinach from my garden for the frozen? 1) How much of the fresh spinach would I substitute for the 10 ozs. of frozen?
Dec 9, 2008
We loved it. However, we didn't realize we should have separated the pita wedges in half.
Oct 17, 2008
I revised this recipe a little and served it with flour tortilla chips and I really enjoyed it.