- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 cups Sourdough Starter (recipe also in Recipe Finder)
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the butter, honey, molasses, Sourdough Starter, wheat germ, sugar, baking soda, salt, whole wheat flour and 2 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Brush with oil. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forHoney Wheat Sourdough Bread
"I make this frequently and it is always successful! Has a very nice rise and texture."
"I tried it using water and it turned out great! Although I definitely used more flour than is called for and also added flax seed in addition to the wheat germ."
"This is an excellent recipe. Ingredients list warm water, but directions list "warm milk". I used the milk. Turns out fine. I also substituted ground flax seed for the wheat germ. Delicious!"