Honey Beet Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 cups grated uncooked fresh beets, squeezed dry
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Toasted sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the beets, milk, butter, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape into two loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Brush with egg white; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until top begins to brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 108 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 9, 2015
Couldn't taste the beets. A great way to get in extra vegetables,
Apr 14, 2009
Fabulous recipe. The dough turns dark pink, but the baked bread comes out looking like the picture.
Oct 6, 2008
It was difficult to find fresh beets, but once I did, I made several loaves & put in freezer.The one we ate was fantastic.