Milk-and-Honey White Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 to 8-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add honey, butter, salt and 5 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and shape into two loaves. Place in greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 149 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 172mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 18, 2018
I've been making this bread for a couple of years for our family. It always turns out phenomenally, especially when it's still warm and slathered with honey butter. YUM! My only disappointment with the bread is I always seem to have a spot in the center that stays doughy, even if I leave it in there for extra time. It's probably just our oven, but still definitely 5 stars for this one.
Nov 10, 2017
I thought the bread was dry. Can anyone help with that? I really want to make this one work.
Nov 9, 2017
This recipe sounds so good! Can it be adapted for a bread machine? Anyone know what the measurements would be?
Dec 30, 2016
Was a good loaf as is but I?switched it to bread flour, used NFD milk and cut the recipe in half to get one loaf. Now it's AMAZING.
Dec 20, 2016
This was such an easy recipe to follow, and a joy to make! Hubby was delighted to be surprised with freshly baked bread when he came home from work today. Admittedly, I did buy a loaf from the store just in case I screwed this one up, but I am fairly certain the store-bought loaf will be going into the freezer...if these loaves last long, that is!
Dec 4, 2016
A delicious bread! Easy recipe to follow. Great flavour!
Nov 13, 2016
I make bread and dinner rolls all the time and my family has declared this bread their favorite.
Jul 20, 2016
Good recipe. I will make this again.
Feb 15, 2016
I am a beekeeper and this is my favorite honey recipe . Great texture and taste
Dec 21, 2015
This is my go to bread.My husband loves it.I felt guilty when I ran out of my bread and had to run to the store and buy a loaf.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.