Honey Spice Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and milk. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. In another bowl, whisk eggs, honey, oil and brown sugar mixture until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Transfer to a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (cover top loosely with foil if needed to prevent overbrowning).
- Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. In a small bowl, stir glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over bread. Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled loaf in plastic wrap and foil. To use, thaw at room temperature. Glaze as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 187 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 53mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 4, 2018
I love to have a sweet spiced treat to enjoy with a cup of tea in the mornings - this was the perfect thing! I baked this in a greased, floured, and parchment-paper-lined pan about 5 minutes over the maximum time range, covering with foil for the last 5-10 minutes just because I wanted to make absolutely sure it was baked through. The top was nice and spongey-moist and turned out of the pan flawlessly. About 30 minutes or more after I turned it out, I wrapped it loosely in foil to finish cooling, and I've kept it wrapped in foil in a container to keep it fresh (because reviews suggested it might get dry).I did not ice this loaf. The morning after I made it, I popped a slice in the microwave under a wet paper towel at half-power until hot, and it was heavenly, flavorful, and moist. This bread is perfectly sweet enough without the icing, and the spices make it so comforting and indulgent. It was everything I had hoped for!
Sep 6, 2016
Very distinct honey flavor - nostalgic "Grandma used to make this" recipe. Covering loaf loosely with foil after 20-30 min. in oven is important. Take care to not over-bake. I always bake this in advance and freeze it, then thaw and glaze before serving.
Dec 21, 2015
We liked the flavor, however it took a LOT longer the bake than the recipes says. The middle of the loaf was still almost pure batter while the outside had burned. Probably will not be making this again.
Mar 2, 2015
The bread turned out extremely dry. Checked the recipe to see if I'd over baked it but I hadnt. I threw the loaf away. Very disappointed in the results.
Jan 20, 2015
Like the flavor, but the texture left much to be desired. You need to wash it down with a lot of water.
Dec 16, 2014
Flavor is good but do not like the texture
Oct 1, 2014
I really like this bread - great with coffee in the morning. I liked that the bread was not overly spicy. A nice delicate flavor.
Sep 28, 2014
Success! I made the bread today with the below changes and it is moist and tasty!Will be making it often!1/2 C packed brown sugar -- mixed it with the milk without heating it - dissolved easily.1/2 C oil1/3 C Greek yogurt1/4 tsp salt1 tsp vanillaSprinkled the top with cinnamon sugar before baking.Last week:Made this a few days ago per the recipe plus I added 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp vanilla. My husband came home for lunch and ate two slices with cream cheese while the bread was still warm and liked it. However, once it cooled it was dry. I didn't make the glaze because it was a little too sweet for our taste even without the glaze. Since it was good warm, we have been lightly toasting it and it is okay. I decided not to give up on this recipe, so I am going to make it again and will increase the oil to 1/2 cup and add 1/4 cup Greek yogurt. I will also decrease the brown sugar to 1/2 cup and again add the salt and vanilla.
Sep 26, 2014
I also should have read the reviews. Very, very dry.
Sep 24, 2014
Made this last weekend and also did not read the reviews before making. It is very dry and unflavorable. Not a bread I will be making again.