Country White Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt, eggs, oil and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Divide in half and shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 125 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 11, 2018
Fantastic! As someone that loves to make bread but struggles getting good results, this recipe is going to be my go to! I did reduce sugar and add a little honey to mine. I ended up using the full 7 cups of flour plus a little more, but that may have been due to humidity and my measuring.
Jul 6, 2017
I came upon this recipe today and made a couple loaves and so glad I did.this is by far the best white bread I have ever made,I cut down the sugar to 1/4 cup and used bread flour and it came out perfect,large,golden crusted loaves.no bread machine for me,just hand made bread with lots of TLC. will make often.
Jan 28, 2017
I don't usually make white bread, but I needed some "hearty white bread" for a meatloaf recipe. I could not see buying an expensive sliced white bread at the grocery so I made half of this recipe. The loaf came out great...sliced perfectly and has a great chew. I know I will finish the whole loaf!!! It's a keeper!!!
Jun 2, 2016
my favorite ! will definitely make again!"
Jan 7, 2016
This is by far the best basic white bread recipe I've used. I make it quite a bit, always turns out great.
Dec 27, 2015
This recipe is one of the simplest, yet best recipes for home style bread I've made. My family enjoys it, we give it away and friends are so happy to get a nice warm loaf. This recipe usually makes 3 for us, as we've done it in two and the loaves are HUGE on top. So we do 2 loaves and cinnamon buns or 3 loaves. Enjoy!
Feb 1, 2015
Turned out great. I substituted warm milk for the water portion. It is sweet and a little doughy.
Jan 24, 2015
This recipe was so easy and SO yummy! This is definitely being added to our family favorites.
Oct 5, 2014
I tried this recipe for the first time yesterday. It turned out wonderfully!! I halved the recipe and before putting the bread in the oven I misted the top with some water to improve the lift. This recipe is a keeper.
Aug 30, 2014
Turned out perfect! Will be making this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.