Country White Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt, eggs, oil and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Divide in half and shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 125 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 12, 2020
Perfection! I have been trying other white bread recipes and was not satisfied. When I made this bread, I knew I need look no longer. It's perfect! Wonderful flavor, slices nicely --no need to look any further. It will be my go-to recipe! Thank you!
Apr 15, 2020
Reviewing again because you didn't post my full review? I made this bread today and followed the recipe exactly. It made big loaves, that are light and have a wonderful flavor. Very easy to make, it will be my go-to recipe for white bread. I only wish there was an option to post a picture to show how beautiful it turned out.
Apr 11, 2020
Homemade breads make excellent sandwich breads, as long as they don't crumble easily or fall apart. One trick to cutting homemade bread is to slice it from the bottom or sides, NOT the top so you're not squishing the bread! Enjoy.
Apr 10, 2020
Made this bread yesterday and went by the recipe and it was wonderful. And Susan it makes the best sandwich bread.jean
Apr 9, 2020
I’m not a bread maker and I haven’t yet tried this recipe. My question: Is this white bread good for sandwiches? I see French toast, rolls, etc mentioned in the reviews but not sandwiches. Thanks.
Mar 24, 2020
I made this using half wheat, half white flour. The bread was a bit crumbly since I didn’t add extra gluten but the flavor was heavenly.
Jan 13, 2020
I used this recipe over the weekend. I made two changes, I added a 1/4cp instant potato flakes and brushed the top of the bread with melted butter about ten minutes after they came out of the oven. They came out perfect! Made great french toast the next morning.
Aug 17, 2019
Absoluely lovely, thanks so much.
Apr 10, 2019
Always turns out just right!
Feb 11, 2018
Fantastic! As someone that loves to make bread but struggles getting good results, this recipe is going to be my go to! I did reduce sugar and add a little honey to mine. I ended up using the full 7 cups of flour plus a little more, but that may have been due to humidity and my measuring.