Seeded Honey Wheat Bread
I usually have to double this recipe—so full of poppy and sunflower seed flavor—because it goes so fast in my family. Bread bakers will appreciate its perfect shape and soft texture. —Rachel Preus, Marshall, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup flaxseed
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, yeast, salt and 1 cup all-purpose flour; set aside. In a small saucepan, heat water, butter and honey to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients. Stir in flax, sunflower kernels, poppy seeds and enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes. Punch down dough; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans, seam side down. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, beat egg; brush over loaves. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.