Seeded Whole Grain Loaf
My husband and I want whole grain bread, but we don't like the spongy store-bought whole wheat breads. I drastically altered one of my favorite batter bread recipes to create this earthy bread. It is crunchy, chewy and easy. The add-ins are just suggestions. Sometimes I use pepitas, sesame seeds or even 1/4 cup of a multi-grain hot cereal mix. —Amber Rife, Columbus, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 4 hours
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 16 slices)
- 1-1/3 cups warm 2% milk (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2-2/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
- 4 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 tablespoon millet
- 1 tablespoon sunflower kernels
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon cracked wheat or additional flaxseed
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all the ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 128 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 199mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Crunchy, Chewy Grain and Seed Loaf in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.