Almond Poppy Seed Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, oil, eggs, poppy seeds, lemon juice and extracts; beat until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to sugar mixture alternately with milk, beating just until moistened.
- Pour into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm loaves. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 197 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 20, 2018
This recipe is amazing! I have made four batches of this for my kids in the last week and a half. Made it for their chess tournament and I overheard the teens saying, "Man this is good bread." I made it originally by the recipe, but my one son said it could have had a little more lemon taste. So I put in 2 teaspoons total of the lemon juice. I loved it both ways. The first just gave it more of the almond taste that I loved. One batch made 5 mini loaf pans. I used rice milk instead of regular milk because my other son has a severe dairy allergy. The bread was sooo moist. I'm using past tense because it is all gone, AGAIN! I also made a batch with Truvia along with the rice milk because my father in law is a diabetic. He also loved it. I did not make the glaze. It definitely did not need it. Awesome by itself.
Jun 19, 2016
Excellent poppyseed bread. I made a double batch - four mini-loaves, as well as a few muffins. I didn't make the glaze, and in my humble opinion the bread is so moist and flavorful on it's own that the glaze may have covered up the awesome bread. I will have to make some again, very soon.??
Apr 19, 2015
Very very good and so easy to make
Jan 30, 2015
So good! We were out of orange juice so I skipped the glaze, great without it, I'm sure it's wonderful with it too. I did reduce the poppy seed to 2 TBSP, and that seemed like plenty, had a lovely look and feel just like the picture.
Dec 27, 2011
Made this for a Christmas brunch and everyone asked for the recipe. So good!
Jan 23, 2011
I've made this one for 20 years - love it! I use granulated sugar instead of powdered sugar for the glaze to make it nice and crunchy sweet.
Mar 11, 2010
A great recipe and easy to make. Everyone loved it.
Jan 22, 2009