Harvest Potato Casserole
Sour cream and cream of chicken soup lend to the creamy texture of this tried-and-true casserole. My family prefers this to traditional mashed potatoes. —Mrs. Robert Cody, Dallas, Texas
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min.
- 8 large potatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
- Place potatoes and bay leaves in a Dutch oven or large kettle; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Place in the freezer (still covered by the cooking water) for 1 hour.
- Drain potatoes; peel and grate. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, soup, 1 cup cheese, pimientos and onion; spread over potatoes. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese; top with cornflakes (dish will be full).
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly.