Gruyere & Caramelized Onion Tarts
Garlic and onion is a match made in heaven in my opinion, so I love creating new recipes to showcase the pair. Gruyere cheese adds impeccable flavor to the eye-catching starter. —Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil and butter until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Unfold each puff pastry sheet onto an ungreased baking sheet. Using a knife, score decorative lines around the edges of each pastry. Spread onion mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with cheeses and thyme.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cut each tart into 12 pieces. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 142 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.