Caramelized Fennel Tarts
Fennel is a favorite of mine, no matter how it’s cooked, but I think it is really amazing sauteed until rich and golden, then baked on delicious puff pastry. I’ve served these as a side dish and as an appetizer.—Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 15 min.
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- In a large skillet, saute fennel in oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in the thyme, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Unfold each puff pastry sheet onto an ungreased baking sheet. Using a knife, score 1 in. from the edges of each pastry. Spread fennel mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cut each tart into 12 pieces. Freeze option: Freeze cooled pastries in a freezer container, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, reheat pastries on an ungreased baking sheet in a preheated 400° oven until crisp and heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 116 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 102mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.