Turtle Tart with Caramel Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 cups pecan halves, toasted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place pecans and sugar in a food processor; pulse until pecans are finely ground. Add melted butter; pulse until combined. Press onto bottom and up sides of a 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; stir with a whisk until smooth. Pour into cooled crust; cool slightly. Refrigerate until slightly set, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle pecans over filling. Refrigerate, covered, until set, about 3 hours.
- For sauce, in a large heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in sugar until dissolved. Bring to a boil; cook 10-12 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Slowly whisk in cream until blended. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Serve with tart.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice with 2 tablespoons caramel sauce: 632 calories, 51g fat (24g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 93mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 28, 2017
Made this for my daughter's birthday. Forgot to top it with the caramel sauce when I served it; everyone loved it anyway. It was rich, creamy, and chocolatey. Next time I make it, I think I will try it with a pecan shortbread crust instead; I think it will taste delicious with the rich filling and hold together better than the ground pecans.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.