Green Onion Cornmeal Muffins
Cornbread and corn muffins are popular in New England. This muffin recipe has a different twist with green onions and sour cream, and the aroma while they’re baking is wonderful! I like to serve these with soups and stews.—Naomi Rogers, Essex, Connecticut
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, combine the egg, sour cream, milk, butter and onions; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 150 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Green Onion Cornmeal Muffins in Country February/March 2006