Baked Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins
When I bring treats to the staff, I try to keep most of the goodies healthy. These moist muffins definitely are, and the cornmeal adds an interesting texture.—Elizabeth Bergeron, Denver, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a small bowl, combine the cornmeal, flours, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 185 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 251mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Cornmeal Blueberry Muffins in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.