Cranberry Sweet Potato Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cold mashed sweet potatoes (without added butter or milk)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a small bowl, combine the egg, milk, sweet potatoes and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Fill 12 greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffins comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 155 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 1, 2019
I'm commenting because I successfully tweaked a few things. I subbed orange juice for milk because I had some on it's last leg. I added a little baking soda...maybe 1/2 teaspoon. I used canola oil because I was too lazy to melt butter. As well, I added about a half. cup of toasted, chopped pecans. Just had one with my breakfast and it was delish. Just the perfect level of sweetness. Cheers!!
Dec 13, 2018
Used both fresh and dried cranberries, sprinkled the tops with raw sugar. Great on their own, but amazing split and toasted with some cream cheese!
Nov 17, 2014
Really great change-of-pace, seasonal muffin. All sorts of good flavors going on, holiday spice, tart cranberry, sweet sugar topping. A great conversation top, too! I made mine in jumbo muffin format and they made a nice hearty, portable winter breakfast treat.
Oct 3, 2014
Instead of the cranberries can you use raisins?
Jan 18, 2014
Wonderful! The only thing I changed is I added chopped pecans, because my husband loves nuts. I just made a triple batch and froze the extra, and they defrost beautifully!
Oct 31, 2012
My kids and I made these when we were stuck inside on a rainy day, and we loved them! Great flavor and very moist for something so low in fat and calories.
Oct 25, 2011
These are so good!! I used the dried cranberries and they were awesome!! I let the dried cranberries soake in some warm water while I was putting the batter together they were nice and plump!!!
May 9, 2011
Awesome muffins! I have also made this recipe with craisins since they pack the flavor. Kids love these muffins. It's a great way to get some vitamins in them.
Dec 26, 2010
I really liked the recipe. I think I will try it with a little more, 3/4c. sweet potato next time. I thought the cranberries out flavored the potato, but still really loved it.
Jul 7, 2009
Fall is my favorite season. These muffins bring a little bit of fall to my kitchen any time of year. Tried them with dried cranberries. Turned out okay, but fresh cranberries are definitely preferred.