Cinnamon-Sugar Sweet Potato Pastries
We always have leftover mashed sweet potatoes after our Thanksgiving feast. I take what’s left to make an indulgent filling for sweet potato empanadas. Convenient crescent roll dough makes this recipe easy as pie. —Sarah Vasques, Milford, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each ) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, combine sweet potato, cream cheese, brown sugar and orange zest. Unroll crescent dough and separate into 4 rectangles; press perforations to seal. Cut each rectangle into 4 triangles. Repeat with remaining dough. Place 1 teaspoon potato filling in center of each triangle. Fold dough over filling and pinch seams to seal.
- Place 2 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly. In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon. Brush pastries with butter; coat with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 88 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Empinada's in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.