Gluten-Free Cornmeal Muffins
Serve these muffins warm with butter, honey or even salsa! Reheat leftovers in foil in the oven...if there are any! —Laura Fall-Sutton, Buhl, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg white
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup amaranth flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- In a large bowl, beat the first 5 ingredients until well blended. Combine the cornmeal, amaranth flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt; gradually beat into milk mixture until blended. Stir in corn and cheese.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use foil liners; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake at 375° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15-18 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Editor's NoteRead all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 169 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Cornmeal-Cheese Muffins in Healthy Cooking October/November 2011
Dec 18, 2011
I have two people in my family (daughter and granddaughter) that are wheat intolerant. Both of them loved this recipe. I made it for Thanksgiving so they could have bread and everyone else ate them too.