Gluten-Free Cornmeal Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup amaranth flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- In a large bowl, beat the first five ingredients until well blended. Combine the cornmeal, amaranth flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt; gradually beat into milk mixture until blended. Stir in corn and cheese.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use foil liners; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Editor's NoteRead all ingredient labels for possible gluten content prior to use. Ingredient formulas can change, and production facilities vary among brands. If you’re concerned that your brand may contain gluten, contact the company.
Nutrition Facts1 muffin: 169 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 18, 2011
I have two people in my family (daughter and granddaughter) that are wheat intolerant. Both of them loved this recipe. I made it for Thanksgiving so they could have bread and everyone else ate them too.