Sweet Onion Muffins
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes3 dozen mini muffins or 1 dozen regular muffins
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs, onion and butter until blended; stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- Fill greased or paper-lined miniature muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Editor's NoteEditor's Note: If using regular size muffins cups, bake for ?-? minutes. Please copy and paste to use as a trailer--and replace the proper timing in the ?s.
Mar 10, 2020
Awesome recipe!! Great with eggs for breakfast or with lunch or dinner. I usually leave out the walnuts and bake in regular size muffin cups. Joyce Moynihan, Volunteer Field Editor
Mar 10, 2020
These muffins are really delicious. Like some other reviewers, I skipped the walnuts too. Great accompaniment to any soup or stew. They're sweet and savory and were gobbled up by this family. I made them in regular muffin tins and baked them for about 20 minutes. Yummy!!
Jul 24, 2013
Awesome muffins! I bake these alot because they're simple to make and requested often. I use regular onions and usually skip the walnuts. Also nice that they can be prepared using one bowl. I like making the bite-size mini muffins.
Mar 18, 2013
These are delicious! Have made them many times. I leave out the nuts and at 1 tbsp. water to the batter. These have become a regular in my kitchen!
Dec 18, 2011
Awesome recipe, my husband and I love it. I am recommending this to my family and friends. Leslee, Toronto, ON
Jun 8, 2010
A family favorite! Even my kids who don't like onions like these muffins. They're great paired with soups and stews, pot roast or pork roast, or even just for snacking.
Sep 8, 2009
These muffins are simple to make, and really good. They actually are sweet, which means even kids love them.
May 23, 2009
We love these, and make them often for breakfast. Serve them with scrambled eggs--yum!