Glazed Apricot Coffee Cake
My family just loves apricots, so whenever I get a chance, I try to make this coffee cake. Your family and friends will be impressed with its pretty appearance and great taste.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 coffee cakes
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- APRICOT FILLING:
- 12 ounces dried apricots
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add warm milk, egg and butter; mix. Add 2-1/2 cups flour, sugar and salt; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- For filling, combine apricots and water in a small saucepan. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Pour into a blender; process at high speed until smooth. Stir in sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half and roll each half into a 15x12-in. rectangle. Place on a greased baking sheet. Spread half of the filling in a 15x4-in. strip down center of dough. With a sharp knife, cut dough on each side of apricot filling into 1-in.-wide strips. Fold strips alternately across filling to give braided effect. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in small bowl. combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over warm coffee cakes. Serve warm or allow to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 245 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.